Len and Leslie Marma's Blog
Furniture could help you to love your house that much more even if furniture isn't the first thing that you thought about when you bought your house. Awesome landscaping might actually be what attracted you to the house that you just bought. But, it's not outside where you're likely to spend most of your time.
Quick ways to furnish your home without sinking into debt
Most of your time at home may well be spent indoors. Get the wrong furniture and you could hate your house. Spend too much money on furniture and you might love the decor but feel sick each time you think about the price. These tips may keep you from spending too much while you furnish your entire home:
- Buy major furniture pieces for prominent rooms
- Focus on furnishing your living room and bedroom first
- Next, furnish rooms that see lots of use but not as much as the living room and bedroom
- Save finished basements and finished attics for last when furnishing your home
- Choose durable, year round outdoor furniture when buying seating pieces for your front porch and back yard patio
- Go for simple to keep your room spacious and open
- Measure room spaces that you plan to put certain furniture pieces in. Don't guess as to whether or not a chair, sofa, bed or table will fit into a part of your house. Also, make sure that furniture will fit through your front door.
- Consider waiting until after you buy large,expensive furniture pieces before you fill your house with paintings, ceramics and other art pieces
Take your time choosing the right furniture
Admittedly, a great yard, flowers in bloom and grass green and luscious, give nearly any property a value boost. But, it's the furniture that you choose that is going to help determine how comfortable you are when you're at home. Furniture that you place in your house will impact how much you actually like your house.
Old, worn furniture could cause you to regret a house, making it tough to separate the actual house from its interior design. Stylish, modern or futuristic furniture can help to make you feel in tune with popular trends and cultural changes that are on the cusp of happening.
The right furniture also provides your guests with enough space to sit or recline at your place without feeling cramped. If you've ever had guests sit on the floor because you ran out of chairs or didn't have a large enough sofa, you know how important furniture size is.
In addition to thinking about size and style, when selected furniture think about the size of your home. If you shove furniture into corners or tight spaces, you could damage chair and sofa arms. You could also chip expensive wood at the edges of end tables. Be smart when choosing home furnishings and you could fill your home with traditional or trendy furniture that you'll love, furniture that will hold up for years.